Sunday, March 29, 2009

Grace UMC Got the Best Compliment I Can Imagine

Will and Patsy Willimon were our guests at Grace UMC today. For me, there is something deeply spiritual about having the bishop consecrate a new building. A historic responsibility of a bishop, consecration acknowledges that this place is to become holy ground. Bishop Willimon preached for both services and led us in consecration ceremonies for our Ministry Center, which is drawing close to completion.

One of the great blessings for me was spending time with Patsy. She shared with me the best compliment I can imagine (a compliment to Grace UMC, not me). She said, "Steve, this is a great church. I was commenting to one of your church members about the special things that happened in worship today." The day had involved GraceFull Players, sacred dancers, wonderful music all around, a piece written by our Music Director, good sound tech innovation, etc. She continued, "And you know what the man said? 'It's like that every week here at Grace. I love to come because I never know what's going to happen next'. Steve, this is a great church!"

So I pass this incredible compliment along to you, Grace UMC. I am so fortunate to serve in a place that supports and loves the creative arts in worship. The Word comes alive and changes lives when we give of ourselves so freely in sharing it creatively!

Would you like to hear Bishop Willimon's Sermon? You can listen to it online by going to our sermon archives.