Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Ash Wednesday Prayer

This morning, I participated for the first time in an Ash Wednesday morning "come and go" imposition of the ashes. The space at the church was so holy and prayerful and vibrant.

Between the times people were coming in for prayer, I had the blessing of my own prayer time and journaling. What pregnant and powerful space for meditation. I contemplated how much I, too, need deep healing and grace. There is a stubborn place of despair within me that I go back to from time to time, as if I am still a little boy crying out in anxiety and pain.

I am so utterly human, and Ash Wednesday is all about being human. I composed this prayer for Ash Wednesday.

Draw me close to your heart, Lord Jesus ...
    Draw me close to your heart, Lord ...
        Draw me close to your heart ...
            Draw me close to you ...
                Draw me close, too ...
                    Draw me close ...
                        Draw me.