Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Say No to "Christian" Nationalism



I have signed this statement from evangelical leaders from across the United States. I hope that other Christian leaders will also take a stand. We need to call out this “Christian nationalism” associated with the insurrection.

I do not believe that this extremist movement is truly Christian (the word "Christian" means "little Christ" and it's a way of living, not just a set of doctrines and certainly not an ideology). Being patriotic is a good thing. For me, this crazy co-opting of Christian symbols and identity with extremist politics, white supremacy, and anarchy needs to be addressed openly. It is antithetical to the teachings of Jesus.

I want to clarify that I stand against all violence and destruction by any political group, though I believe everyone has the right to peacefully protest. I value the voice of Christian conservatives as well as the voice of Christian progressives. I have varying opinions on matters because my beliefs are rooted in the gospels.

For me, this letter from evangelical leaders is about a unique situation theologically, similar to the KKK using Christian symbols and language. You can find the statement here.