Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thoughts on the Bailout

I wouldn't dream of suggesting how our nation should address this economic crisis. I try to be a thoughtful voter as a part of my Christian spirituality and I seek responsible citizenship, but I'm certainly no economist. I will have to trust others on this one.

But I am intrigued by the huge sum that is being proposed to bail out Wall Street, and so suddenly. I saw a quote by the well known rock star Bono that has left me prayerfully mulling over how this experience is a real look in the mirror concerning our values. He says,

"It's extraordinary to me that the United States can find $700 billion to save Wall Street and the entire G8 can't find $25 billion dollars to save 25,000 children who die every day from preventable diseases."

G8 (the "Group of Eight") is an unofficial summit of leaders from the richest nations of the world. I don't understand the politics of Bono's statement, really, but I do understand the tragic truth in what he is observing.

Lord Jesus, help us. Cleanse and make new your people of the earth. Nudge us into the realization that we can touch the world by being good stewards of that which you have given us. This is not a world of scarcity but a world of bounty. There is enough for your children. There is enough.