Sunday, July 19, 2009

How to Be an Artist

I have become fascinated with pictures of paths since I got my new camera phone. I suppose the winding road, the journey, the trail bending upward is one of the most vivid metaphors for understanding my spiritual life. Here's one I took on a recent trip with Sandy to the Japanese Gardens in Cheekwood near Nashville.

Some of the other sacred metaphors that have become powerful for me as I explore and seek to understand my spiritual life have been the tree planted by streams of water, the dancer within me, healing and cleansing light, soaring like a young eagle under a mother's wings, floating on streams of living water, and being shaped and molded like clay.

Here's a new metaphor that came across my path - artistry. I share the quote with you.

How to be an artist: Stay loose. Learn to watch snails. Plant impossible gardens. Make little signs that say "yes" and post them all over your house. Make friends with uncertainty.

Henry Miller