Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Communion" by Louie Williams Hamby

This morning, as we reflected on Christ's beckoning call for personal relationship, I shared a poem written by my grandmother, Louie Williams Hamby. She died when I was six years old, so I don't have many memories of her. But I am inspired by her poetry and art (she wrote and painted). This particular poem reflects some of her contemplative side. Here is a photo of the original poem along with some of her handwritten notes, with the text of the poem below.



"Communion"
Rev. 3:20

As sunset fades its radiance
And twilight brings its plea;
A knock - a voice - and waiting;
"Lo, I will visit thee."

I swing the door with gladness
For Christ, our Lord is there.
He comes to dine as promised
And mutual goodwill share.

He counsels me with courage
He lights the path grown dim,
As we sit and sup together,
I adoring him.

Ne'er earth holds such communion
Nor love so sweet can be,
As we sit and sup together,
And thus he blesses me.

Mrs. C.P. Hamby