Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Beth Moore Speaks Out



I’m a United Methodist, and I respect the faith of my brothers and sisters of other denominations.

But I agree with Beth Moore. I am glad to be part of a denomination that ordains women who are called by God and equipped by the Spirit, and that supports female leadership at all levels of local church life. In fact, the local church I presently serve has been greatly blessed by female clergy on the ministry staff in the past.

I believe the Bible is can be used to reinforce certain attitudes (against women, minorities, Jews, Catholics, the LGBTQ community, etc.) that go past the Bible’s original intent, instead of interpreting all scripture through the lens of Christ, the divine logos (Word of God).

Paul, in his New Testament writings, was simply pastoral and cautious at times, when in actuality the early church’s full inclusion of women was quite progressive for the times, following what was clearly the way of Jesus. His writings should be read in light of other things he wrote in scripture as well as interpreted through Christ.

You can find Beth Moore’s apology for supporting a theology of male dominance here.