Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The "High Five" Benediction

Some of the kids at church never cease to entertain me and teach me about life.

On Sunday, I was closing the morning service by moving down the aisle in typical fashion, making my benediction with the traditional raised hand. I saw it in his eyes before it happened.
Liam was sitting at the end of the row and he lit up as I approached. His hand went up to match mine. In a split second, I knew exactly what was on his mind. You guessed it. I "high fived" him as I finished the words of my benediction.
And why not? Why not play as we do the work of liturgy? Why not be fully present with people where they are, connecting with them? Why not let worship come alive as we are available for "holy play"?
I'm so thankful to be a part of a church that "high fives."