Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Presentation on Staying in the UMC

I have been a spokesperson for staying UMC in this season when some have been discerning whether to secede from our denomination or remain in the main body. Each presentation has been tailored to a local situation.

Now that I have finished the last speaking engagement on my calendar, I feel compelled to share my most recent presentation with you here.



I’m passionate about the future of the UMC and believe we have great days ahead, pulling together and focusing on making disciples of Christ after this schism. I stand firmly against the wealth of misinformation that has been spread by separatists, and this presentation includes some of my  “Methodist mythbusting.”


If all you’ve heard is a separatist presentation, you have not opened yourself to a complete picture. Factual information from your pastor, conference, and bishop isn’t the “other side” but the common ground from which multiple sides should be considered.


I hope this offers a clear, compelling alternative to the separatist point of view. Some highlights are:

  • The distinction between traditional “compatibalists” and “incompatibalists”
  • Essential Wesleyan spirituality
  • Addressing MYTHS such as the ideas that UMC beliefs are going to dramatically change, extreme examples represent the whole,  we are all going to take a “hard left,” and that leaving is a “good business deal.”
  • A vision for being a traditional church in a diverse denomination
  • Choosing unity over conformity and uniformity


Feel free to share it.