Monday, September 5, 2022

Featured in the Sewanee Theolog Gazette


I'm honored that the new book was featured in the Sewanee Theolog Gazette this month. You can find the August 2022 issue here with reference to the book under the section entitled "Notable."

Here is an excerpt from the book that shares an experience I had on campus.

EXCERPT - "Something Happens Here" by Stephen P. West

For four years, I spent three weeks of summer intensives at the beautiful campus of Sewanee: The University of the South in Tennessee, which I affectionately call “Hogwarts on the mountain.” By the third year, I was close to completing the twenty-mile Perimeter Trail around the crest of the mountain. The language of finding a “way forward” had become common in Methodist leadership circles, since we were approaching a called General Conference that was supposed to find some level of resolve over the deepening divide regarding matters of human sexuality. This annual trek was becoming a prayer walk, as I became intentional to pray about the “way forward” as I walked this path. One afternoon after class, I found myself taking a break from my routine hike to check out a natural bridge I had heard about on another part of the campus.

As I walked down the hill to look over this bridge that had developed purely out of divine initiative, I was whisked away into a mystical experience. I climbed to the top of the bridge and crossed over, pondering the concept of finding a “way forward.” Jesus called himself the “way.” He did not say he would show us the way, or tell us about the path, or send us on our journey, but that he is the way. I don’t believe he said this to be exclusive, as it is often interpreted. I believe he said this to remind us that following him is a journey, and the wisdom of God is a path that will take us to new places and new spaces. Christianity is not a list of rules to follow or a set of doctrines to swallow but a relationship with the divine one who is fully embodied in the person of Christ Jesus. We did not need to build a bridge to provide a way forward. It is a gift given to us in Christ. After all, before Christians were called Christians, the movement was simply called “the Way.”

Just as he began his disciples’ journey with the call to “follow me” (Matt 4:19, italics added), he intentionally prepared them for the completion of his earthly life with a meal invitation to “do this in remembrance of me” (Luke 22:19, italics added). As I have said, it is not a call to simply remember a meal, a liturgy, or a lesson on the meaning of the cross but to reexperience me . . . all of me. The invitation at the table completes what could be seen as a two-part calling of the disciples. Life at the table takes us much deeper into the heart of what it means to truly follow. On that natural bridge, I determined that no matter what, wherever this path took me, I would choose the way of Christ. How Christ behaved toward others is the best lens through which we interpret Scripture, even his own words. Christian spirituality is embodied spirituality, and in Christ, the “fullness of deity dwells bodily.”  Jesus offered the invitation at the table when he knew the time was coming soon when he was no longer going to walk on earth. We were to become the hands and feet of Christ.